Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chatter in the Hood

“So did you hear about the Tillmans?”
“oh my, yes. How completely dreadful.”
“I can’t imagine going through that.”
“Heaven help that you don’t have to, dear.”
A pause while they sipped their tea.
“’Course, anyone could see that coming a mile away.”
“These things do happen, as unfortunate as it is.”
“Especially with THOSE kids of people.”
“Do you suppose he took marijuana?”
“Oh GOD yeah, and probably more.”
“No! In this neighborhood?!”
A nod.
“My.”
She pursed her lips and shook her head slowly.
Another pause. More sips.
“I always believed there was something…peculiar about them.”
“Oh yeah.”
“Do you remember that girl of theirs? The boy’s older sister?”
“What about her?”
“I’d hardly seen such a child!”
A snort of laughter.
“I know it may be rude of me but its true! I bought cookies from her Girl Scout troop because I felt sorry for her. Always going about with her mouth open…”
A full laugh this time.
“Oh she did not!”
“She did! The poor child went about plodding around like a sow, mouth gaping to the elements or insects or what have you! It’s a wonder she never caught cold.”
Sipping again.
“Whatever happened to that child?”
“I dunno, I know she had a boyfriend that she met at that college but I haven’t seen her come home since Christmas two years back.”
“We’ll likely see her now.”
“Probably, yeah.”
“I wonder if she still keeps her mouth open all the time?”
A chuckle. The sound of dainty porcelain cups tinkling against dainty saucers.
“Have a biscuit dear.”
“Thanks, I think I will.”
“I plan to bring them a casserole this evening.”
“Have you heard where the funeral is?”
“Not yet, but likely at West Lake Mortuary. Honorable, yet modest.”
“Open casket or closed?”
“Heavens, I hope it will be closed! You know what they say about that, how the tongue protrudes and such.”
A tsk of distaste. A frown.
“I just can’t imagine..”
“ Perfectly dreadful.”
“He was always a strange boy. Dark. But still..”
“A terrible thing.”
“Yes.”
“More tea, dear?”
“Yes please, thanks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment